Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Miracle

This week has been one of extreme thankfulness. It has been a year since my Olivia got her Cochlear Implant. After 6 months of waiting and wondering, our dream to let our baby hear became a reality. It was a scary decision, but nonetheless has been a blessing in our lives. She turns when we call her name. She now says "mama, dada, baby, socks, shoes, bye-bye, Emma, love you" and many others. She has made remarkable progress even after an unexpected surgery in August. We worried it might put her back some, but she is stubborn and was not going to let anything get in her way. She attends a preschool that helps her to learn her sounds and better communicate with speech and sign. We also see two wonderful therapists once a week, and they both are great with her. I explain to people exactly what her implant does, but I know it is difficult to understand without truly seeing it. So here is a little implant 101 class.

How cochlear implants work:
1. Sound processor: External sound processor captures sound and converts it into digital signals.
2. Digital signals: Processor sends digital signals to internal implant.

3. Electrode array: Internal implant converts signals into electrical energy, sending it to an electrode array inside the cochlea.
4. Hearing nerve: Electrodes stimulate hearing nerve, bypassing damaged hair cells, and the brain perceives signals as sound."

Isn't this a miracle? Truly it is. I know.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

AWESOME that it is working out well.

I love technology! What a HUGE blessing.

Lindsay said...

That is a miracle and I am so happy for her and for you guys, she is such a cutie.

J.E. said...

What you have been through is touching. You are so insperational. I am so happy for what is to come for little Olivia.

Johnny Metropolis said...

Outstanding! Thats the best story I've read in weeks... and I had no idea. Congratulations.

RyanandHailee said...

It truly is the most amazing thing! We are so happy for you guys and so glad that she is doing so good! We just love her little personality and her help with carter! :) Love ya guys

Lindsay said...

I'm loving that Losing Your Memory song! I might have to steal it, where'd you hear it from?

Nanci said...

I can't believe the progress in one year! I remember sitting in your kitchen with Olivia raising her arms and yelling "Go Jazz"! What a cutie. Your family has truely been blessed by having her a part of your family. And you, my dear, have handeled this challenge soooo well.

Anonymous said...

JoRae, you are awesome. You guys have been an inspiration throughout the whole process. strength, courage, faith, hope, laughter, love, etc.