Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fond Memories

I was around in the neighborhood of old Cottonwood Hospital and I just had to go down memory lane. So, I drove by the vacant northwest wing to take a gander. I was kinda sad. I really miss that place and all the good and bad that happened there. I know I have adjusted fairly well to my new kind-of life, but I wanted to share a few of my fond memories.

-Delivering the baby in the suburban out in the roundabout with my forever friends Laura W., and Sara. I remember the steam coming off the baby and the light flurries coming down as we handed the baby to the nursery nurse standing there. Don't think I'll get an experience like that again.

-Both of my children were delivered in room 104. I had such great experiences and great nurse friends to take care of me.

-The yummy treats and food that was always on the table in the back room. I swear nurses make exceptional treats, especially Sue M. (And yes, I had to walk only ten steps to get there.)

-My last baby I helped to deliver at Cottonwood was an unmarried 17 year old red-head. Need I say more! I got yelled at and told right where to go, and I am a really nice person.

-Writing on the walls that last night to stake our memories and say goodbye. I really like Mo's one the best I think. It shows how well he dealt with all those girls.


-Throwing baby showers for even the male genes on our unit, namely Brad.

-One patientless night. I think it was Christmas Eve and I worked a 23-07 and not one patient was on the board or came in throughout my entire shift. That is another one of those never agains.

-The snowflakes we put up every year for Christmas. The funny part is them sounding like flying butterflies, (what the? ie. Michelle and Laura) in the wee hours of the morning. Oh, yes I was delirious.

-We didn't play any games, but I do remember freecell, textwist, zuma and minesweeper to name a few. I know there was a stupid word game that we all didn't play constantly. Does anybody remember what it was called?

I know there are so many more, but these are what came to my mind. I hope you all have some good ones of your own.

13 comments:

janae said...

What great memories. I loved little cottonwood as well, and the great nurses. I am surprised one of your memories wasn't singing "come and knock on my door" :)

Katie M. said...

That is sad, what a great posting! I know you mentioned mostly good memories, but the last minutes spent with my Dad were at Cottonwood Hospital, too.

Maranda said...

Hey I was wanting to talk with you about maybe taking some pics of my baby, would you be interested?

Anonymous said...

that seriously was the best job!!!!!!!!! and i do remember that butterfly snowflake night- it was the best. i am laughing right now thinking of it!

Nanci said...

Ahhhh, the good ol' days. Unfortunately, there aren't EVER coming back! I would add "come and knock on my door" to my list - bonko buddy! I wanted to know the status of the RBF? Good old Cary in the "Up Top Coffee Shop" dropping the "F" bomb when we requested one, drawing pictures of your breast pump on the white board to show where you were going to be for the next 15 minutes, naps, my list could go on and on and on. I really miss that place and everyone there. That's what made it such a great place to work. I LOVED this post!

Emma said...

Are you trying to make me cry? Wow, we had some good times. I can't believe wednesday "princess" dinners didn't make the list.

J.E. said...

Ohhhh, those sound like good memories. I love your details with delivering the baby in the round about- fascinating! I too have memories there b/c that's where I had my one and only.

¨*:·.TIFF.·:*¨ said...

I miss that place too! That's where I had my first memory of you - remember that!
Thanks for finding me. And as for the church thing, I promise I'm there. OK, let's not lie, I haven't been there for a while!
Your blog is adorable!

Lori said...

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who misses Cottonwood. I am so glad we have so many wonderful memories of that place. It is hard to believe it has nearly been a year since it closed. Thanks for being part of my memories there.

Jamie said...

I hope you are at the next cottonwood lunch group. We have to get that going!

Laura said...

I will never forget that roundabout delivery either. I was the one who got all dirty! Covered with baby delivery stuff! Also the brownies and the heel clicks that I could never do. Also how Brad would say, "In a couple of hours Laura will start hearting everything" I miss all of you and I miss that place. I was over there at the eye Dr. the other day and I was sad.
Laura

Brunner said...

Good memories!

Jarred and Rachelle said...

Those are fond memories!! I am glad I got to experience cottonwood, so many great nurses, and staff. Oh p.s. I found your blog through Lindsay Johnson.